Fiery Wide Format Forum  

Go Back   Fiery Wide Format Forum > Graphic Arts Products > Fiery Color Profiler Suite

Old 02-07-2008, 05:15 PM

Color Profiler Suite compatable devices

I am trying to determine if I want to purchase the EFI Color Profiler Suite. I have other profiling software that is compatible with several devices. I own a Gretag MacBeth SpectroScan, and an Xrite DTP70. Does EFI Color profiler suite compatible with these devices?

I've spent thousands of dollars for these devices and don't really want or need to purchase a new device at this time.

Thanks
Old 02-07-2008, 06:36 PM

capturing measurements for CPS

Hi Steve,

There is a workflow you can use to capture measurements with the DTP70 and used by Color Profiler Suite. This requires measuring the ECI 2002 or IT8.7-4 profile target using Xrite's ColorPort software to capture the measurement data and save in the CGATS file format. In the Printer module select the option to Convert Measurements to Profile and import the CGATS file. Profile targets with fewer patches than ECI 2002 or IT8.7-4 will not provide enough measurement data and fail to calculate a profile.

Please note, this option is only available when Color Profiler Suite runs in licensed mode. Activating licensed mode requires the license file and dongle. Color Profiler Suite uses the ES-1000 as the dongle and you will still need to purchase a kit that includes the hardware if you do not already own an i1 or ES-1000. If you own the hardware, then you can purchase the software only kit to obtain the license file.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP
Hi Steve,

There is a workflow you can use to capture measurements with the DTP70 and used by Color Profiler Suite. This requires measuring the ECI 2002 or IT8.7-4 profile target using Xrite's ColorPort software to capture the measurement data and save in the CGATS file format. In the Printer module select the option to Convert Measurements to Profile and import the CGATS file. Profile targets with fewer patches than ECI 2002 or IT8.7-4 will not provide enough measurement data and fail to calculate a profile.

Please note, this option is only available when Color Profiler Suite runs in licensed mode. Activating licensed mode requires the license file and dongle. Color Profiler Suite uses the ES-1000 as the dongle and you will still need to purchase a kit that includes the hardware if you do not already own an i1 or ES-1000. If you own the hardware, then you can purchase the software only kit to obtain the license file.
Matt,
Why would a product be sold with a device as a dongle? I've never heard of that before. I understand not developing the software for every device but wouldn't it be easier for customers if they could choose the device that suits them the best? I prefer a more automated device.

Does the software use the i1IO as a dongle also?

I really like your software but don't want to spend the money on a new device.

Do I have any other options?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2008, 06:59 PM

ES-1000 as the Dongle

Hi Steve,

I have consulted with our developers to better address your questions with the following explanation.

When EFI first developed the Color Profiler Suite standardizing on an instrument that allowed us to provide a high level of support to our large customer base was a priority. Our main goal was to help our customers get the best printed results possible regardless of which engines they are printing to. EFI has a huge user base already fully utilizing our branded instrument, the ES-1000, for printer calibration and Spot Color management so providing support for this instrument made most sense. Our software proved to be better with EFI servers, because EFI knows its servers and the color characteristics of our printers like nobody else. The field response for the EFI Color Profiler Suite has therefore been excellent, but not only for profiling EFI servers! Your input is helping us.

The answer to your question, “Does the software use the i1IO as a dongle also?” is yes. An ES-1000 or an eye-one licensed for Color Profiler Suite will work with the i1IO. You will need to use the ColorPort workflow discussed earlier to make a target and measure it. The CGATS measurement file will be imported into EFI Printer Profiler module. Be aware that if you plan to use your instrument with Fiery systems, only the ES-1000 can be used with Fiery's Spot-On feature to optimize Spot colors. The Eye-One is not compatible with Fiery Spot-On. Otherwise both devices behave the same for standard profiling tasks using Color Profiler Suite.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:36 AM

A related question.
RE: compatible devices for efi profiler & Color Wise Pro

I am looking at purchasing an OKI C9800GA running a fiery rip and profiling software. I already own a EyeOne pro UV that I use in other printer RIPs. For profilers I am looking at either the efi color profiler or gretagmacbeth profile maker as options.

Just to be clear that I understand correctly
1: That to use 'spot-on' requires a efi color profiler licensed eye one.
2: That the efi color profiler license can be purchased separately from the hardware and assigned to my existing eyeone pro.
3: Color wise Pro uses an ES-1000 for calibration. However if I elect not to purchase the efi color profiler, can I still use my eye-one Pro with Color wise Pro to calibrate the fiery?

Thanks in advance for your help
Peter Miles
Old 04-29-2008, 06:50 PM

Benefits of ES-1000

Hi Peter,

Fiery Spot-On and EFI Color Profiler Suite are separate applications that use separate activation and licensing. You can buy a software only kit to activate your Eye-One with Color Profiler Suite but you will not be able to use the same Eye-One with Spot-On. Only the ES-1000 will work with Fiery Spot-On as a valid device for measuring custom colors. Spot-On will not allow color measurment if you connect the Eye-One. Calibrator will work with the Eye-One even if you do not purchase the license for Color Profiler Suite.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:39 AM

Hi Matt
Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Regards
Peter Miles